Associate Dean for Public Health Initiatives
Professor, Family Science
2242CC School of Public Health
- Community engagement
- Minority participation in research
- Health and risk communication, particularly with regard to bioterrorism and other forms of terrorist activity
- Ph.D., Health Education, University of Maryland College Park, 1993
Communication Faculty, Senior Crisis Management Seminar, The American University and the US Department of State
Honors and Awards:
- Fulbright Senior Specialist Grantee, Universidade de Fortaleza, Brazil
- Selected Fellow, 2006-2007, Hedwig van Ameringen Executive Leadership in Academic Medicine Program for Women
- Health Education Mentor Award, Society for Public Health Education
- Selected Participant in the American Association for the Advancement of Science Course: Racial and Ethnic Minorities as Research Subjects: Challenges for Research Ethics
- Editorial Board Member, Health Education & Behavior
- Guest Editor on theme issues:
Issue theme: Health Disparities Research for the journal, Health Education & Behavior;
Issue Theme: Crisis and Emergency Risk Communication in an Influenza Pandemic: Health Promotion Practice
- Gilbert, K. L., Quinn, S., Goodman, R. M., Butler, J., & Wallace, J. (In press). A meta-analysis of social capital and health. Journal of Health Pyschology.
- Kumar, S., Quinn, S., Kim, K., Daniel, L., & Freimuth, V. (2012). The impact of workplace policies and other social determinants of influenza-like illness incidence during the 2009 H1N1 pandemic. American Journal of Public Health, 102(1), 134–140. doi: 10.2105/AJPH.2011.300307
- Kumar, S., Quinn, S., Kim, K., Musa, D., & Freimuth, V. A. (2011). Social ecological model for H1N1 influenza vaccine acceptance in the US. Health Education & Behavior. Published online before print October 7, 2011, doi: 10.1177/1090198111415105.
- Kumar, S., & Quinn, S. (2011). Existing health inequalities in India: Informing preparedness planning for an influenza pandemic. Health Policy and Planning. doi: 10.1093/heapol/czr075
- Thomas, S., Quinn, S., Butler, J., Fryer, C. & Garza, M. (2011). Fourth generation health disparities research: Accelerating innovations to achieve health equity. Annual Review of Public Health. 32, 399–416.
- Quinn, S., Kumar, S., Freimuth, V., Kidwell, K., & Musa, D. (2011). Racial disparities in exposure, susceptibility and access to health care in the US H1N1 influenza pandemic. American Journal of Public Health, 101(2), 285–293.
- Gilbert, K., Quinn, S., Ford, A., & Thomas, S. (2011). The urban context: A place to eliminate health disparities and build organizational capacity. Journal of Prevention & Intervention in the Community, 39(1), 77 – 92.
- Hilyard, K., Freimuth, V., Musa, D., Kumar, S. & Quinn, S. (2010). The vagaries of public support for government actions in case of a pandemic. Health Affairs, 29, 2294-2301.
- Quinn, S., Kumar, S., Freimuth, V., Kidwell, K., & Musa, D. (2009). Public willingness to take a vaccine or drug under emergency use authorization during the 2009 H1N1 pandemic. Biosecurity and Bioterrorism: Biodefense Strategy, Practice, and Science, 7(3), 1-16.
- Quinn, S., Thomas, T., & Kumar, S. (2008). The anthrax vaccine and research: Reactions from postal workers and public health professionals. Biosecurity and Bioterrorism: Biodefense Strategy, Practice and Science, 6(4), 321-333.
School of Public Health
University of Maryland, College Park